Why you should be eating more high fiber snacks
High fiber foods seem to be all the rage, but why? Along with the many benefits listed below, fiber helps reduce the chances of cardiovascular disease and helps lower cholesterol levels. Here are some reasons why munching on high fiber snacks will make your body say ‘thank you!’
High fiber snacks contain key vitamins and minerals
Many foods that are jam packed with fiber also contain some hidden gems in the form of vitamins and minerals. Here are some of the essential vitamins and minerals you might find in fiber loaded foods:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamin): helps the body to use carbs as energy, and plays a role in nerve, muscle and heart function
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): helps the gut break down foods to absorb nutrients and maintain tissues
- Vitamin B3 (niacin): helps turn proteins and fats into energy and maintains your skin, hair and nervous system
- Vitamin B6: it helps produce serotonin, norepinephrine and helps nerves function
- Potassium: decreases the risk of stroke, lowers blood pressure, maintains muscle mass and helps bone health
- Magnesium: helps the body metabolize food, synthesize fatty acids and proteins, and is essential to proper nerve impulse transmissions
- Calcium: needed to maintain strong bones and is critical for communication between the brain and body
- Zinc: essential for a healthy immune system
- Folate: is needed to make red and white blood cells and bone marrow, it converts carbs into energy and it produces DNA and RNA
High fiber snacks have antioxidant properties
Yellow peas specifically have a high amount of phytonutrients which have antioxidative properties that protect us from chronic disease, cancer and heart-related disorders.
High fiber snack help control your weight
The more fiber in a snack, the more your appetite is reduced, causing you to feel more full and eat less. This is due to how fiber reduces ghrelin (the hunger hormone), while also regulating glucose levels!
High fiber snacks are great for your gut
Fiber helps support the growth of prebiotics, which improves gut function and promoted the growth of healthy bacteria. Consuming prebiotics may reduce bowel inflammation, enhance uptake of minerals, and promote the maintenance of a healthy body weight.
These are only a few of the amazing benefits that inspired us to create our fiber filled snacks using yellow pea fiber - a fiber that is clinically proven to deliver results!
Ready to up your fiber game? Try our yellow pea fiber cookies!